- We are biologically wired to be nurturers and peace-keepers.
- We have the ability to reproduce, which in itself, is an incredibly amazing process.
- Our bodies go through cycles which follow the cycle of the moon.
- Our breasts produce a substance that not only feeds and builds immunity in our children, but can also cure numerous ailments in a miraculous fashion. For instance, I cured my child’s pink eye infection with only two doses of breast milk. (Since then, all my friends and family bring their kids for breast milk drops when they get the dreaded pink eye.)
I’ve barely scratched the surface of our important and profound contributions as mothers, yet our incredible power is already apparent.
Alas, as someone once said, “With great power, comes great responsibility.”
We have many responsibilities, as mothers. But I am going to speak about one.
The responsibility of taking care of our bodies.
If we are to maintain our power as nurturers, peace-keepers, reproducers, and natural medicine suppliers, we must take care of our bodies. This is easier said than done.
Achieving Health in a Toxic World
There was a time when our food grew in mineral-rich soil and we walked in a toxin-free world. Our bodies ebbed and flowed through the stages of our lives – childhood, puberty, pregnancy, menopause – naturally and efficiently because they were supplied with the nutrients needed.
Now, thanks to environmental toxins like pesticides and toxins in our food, as well as depleted soils and a polluted earth; women cannot and do not receive the nutrients they need. Furthermore, our bodies are hampered by the toxins we must constantly process.
Ask yourself, who in any family is most likely to be over-exposed to chemical cleaning products? Who in any household is most likely to eat on the go, potentially choosing processed convenience foods rather than healthier, more time-consuming meals?
We cannot forget either how poverty comes into play. Women and children are the largest poverty group in the world. Who in any family is most likely to save the healthy foods for our children when funds are limited and food is scarce?
The answer to all these questions is MOTHERS.
The Sad Irony
The sad irony is that while moms are making all these sacrifices, we are suffering. And when we suffer, our families suffer.
I do not say this to make you feel guilty. I do not say this to add to the weight on your shoulders already of nurturing and protecting your loved ones. I say this because I know that you are more likely to help yourself if you know it will also help your loved ones. I know this because I, too, am a mother who has made the same health sacrifices.
When my body is not in harmony with the ebb and flow of being a woman and all that being a woman encompasses, I cannot reach my full power potential.
Fortunately, there are ways I can easily begin to take care of myself.
I don’t know about you, but I noticed that my mental health is greatly improved when I’m feeling physically strong and healthy. But I quickly feel defeated when starting any new health program because it seems overwhelming, a burden to add to my list of “things to do.”
Here are some tips you can incorporate into your daily life immediately. Remember that you do not need to do a complete turn-around to get results. Think of little ones learning to walk. They start with baby steps, and so should you.
Keep these tips in mind and incorporate them into your lifestyle as you are able and ready. Avoid putting pressure on yourself. As a mother, you already deal with enough pressures in your life. You do not need more.
- Instead of grabbing an unhealthy, processed snack when you’re in a hurry, try fasting. Despite medical advice which encourages us to eat small meals throughout the day, the fact is that our intestines need long breaks from digestion to regenerate and to give our bodies time to focus on other activities, such as healing. Skip breakfast! Ignore the tummy grumbles when you’re in a hurry! You can always eat later when you have more time to prepare something healthy.
- Make yummy treats that are healthy. Whenever you have a sweet craving, reach for the healthy treat rather than a sugar-filled, toxic treat. I make a large batch and freeze some so that I don’t run out mid-week.
- Make sure you’re getting enough sleep. After working, cleaning, and caring for children all day, it is very tempting to stay up late to spend some time alone or with your partner. Alone time and relationship time are very important. However, sleep is also very important.
- Make sleep a priority and you will find you have more energy for those extra moments you take for yourself.
- Drink water. If you have a hard time getting yourself to drink more water, try it with lemon. Make herbal teas. Drink water on a schedule, for instance you can start every day with one or two large glasses of water. You may be surprised how much better you feel. In desperate circumstances where doctors have nothing but water to treat their patients, they have been astounded by the positive results.
- Go for a walk. A half hour walk outdoors in the fresh air several times a week is superior to a gym workout where you do not get the benefits of being in nature.
Products Designed Specially for Women
If you’re like me, you might have spent a lot of money purchasing one supplement or another trying to deal with PMS and other female health conditions. However, one woman made it her life purpose to research, study, and design supplements containing all the needed nutrients for particular conditions.
Lorna Vanderhaeghe holds degrees in nutrition and biochemistry. Not only has she designed her products for the specific needs of women, but she also ensures that her products do not contain GMOs, gluten, soy, or irradiated or artificial ingredients.
She has a line of incredible products but I am going to mention three in particular because they support adrenal health (think energy) and hormone balancing (think sanity).
If you would like to take supplements as part of your self-care program, you cannot go wrong with Lorna Vanderhaeghe products.
All in a day’s work for most mom’s, wouldn’t you say?
Unsurprisingly, adrenal exhaustion is a common condition for women. Fortunately, ADRENAsmart, provides key ingredients which:
- Help us handle stress better
- Support healthy hormone function
- Support cardiovascular health
- Improve endurance
- Aid in deep, restful sleep
- Stop night-time waking
- Normalizes cortisol (our stress hormone)
- Balance mood
- Improve mental clarity
As you can imagine from the name, ESTROsmart is designed to balance our hormones. Beginning with puberty, women experience extreme fluctuations in hormones throughout our lives. When our hormones are fluctuating harmoniously, in balance with one another, we do not experience extreme reactions to the fluctuations.
ESTROsmart provides the following benefits to women:
- Maintains healthy estrogen-to-progesterone balance
- Prevents and treats fibrocystic breasts
- Detoxifies toxic estrogens from plastics, pesticides
- Halts abnormal cell growth, including breast lumps, fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, thick uterine lining
- For those with Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and ovarian cysts
- Halts the conversion of good estrogens to bad estrogens
- Eliminates PMS and makes periods effortless
- Maintains healthy PAP smears
- Eliminates hormonal acne
With adrenal exhaustion and fluctuating hormones comes fluctuating weight. As we age, that weight tends to settle around our middles and becomes more and more difficult to lose. We can view it as a natural part of aging or we can make efforts to address it.
- Aids weight loss
- Increases lean muscle
- Accelerates fat loss
- Controls blood sugar
- Powerful antioxidant
- Research shows a 7 lb weight loss in 90 days
The Take-Away Message
When all is said and done, the important message here is that we, women, require self-care to work at our maximum power potential.
By making small lifestyle changes like drinking more water, exercising more, and getting more sleep, we may see huge improvements.
When we need a little more help, in the form of supplements, Lorna Vanderhaeghe products deliver high quality, effective results.
Mothers are powerful creatures. We are the vessels through which life is created. We are nurturers, care-takers, and peace-keepers.
We withstand extreme pain and perform amazing feats of strength for our little ones. Our capacity for love is boundless.
Our power is sacred and our self-care needs are deserved. One day a year, we are honoured as mothers. But it is every day of the year that we are mothers. We must honour ourselves throughout our lives by engaging in self-care and recognizing that we deserve it.